Thursday, April 28, 2011

Doctor Appointment

I went in for my appointment on Thursday and the news was good! The doctor thought my knee would have more swelling and be more stiff. I have been trying to do a good job of resting it and moving it equally throughout the day. I removed the last bandages from my knee and saw two tiny scars on my kneecap. Hopefully I can start physical therapy next week to get more movement in my knee.

The doctor was kind enough to give me the pictures from the surgery of my knee. It is weird to look at all that is going on inside your body. Here are some pictures of my knee during surgery. The pictures on the second page show the holes already drilled in my kneecap to allow the stem cells to create new cartilage. The pictures above "Lateral Condyle Cartilage Injury" did not turn out too well, but you may be able to see where the cartilage was missing (look for the rough edges).

I guess all I can do is keep doing what I have been doing before physical therapy begins. Patience is very important with this type of surgery, so I have to slow myself down from trying to do too much. The doctor did say that other than playing sports, running, jumping, etc there really was not any limits and just listen to my body. And I had plans to run 2 marathons this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment