Friday, April 22, 2011

Surgery and Purple Socks


I woke up this morning at about 5 to get ready to go to the hospital. Autumn waited with me right until they took me in the operating room. I was outfitted with a purple gown and some sweet purple socks made by a company called Bair Paws. I don't plan on taking them off for about 2 weeks. The nurse hooked me up to an IV and a contraption that blows warm air into my gown. That was nice. I found out the nurse's youngest son and I share the exact same birthday. What a small world!

I walked into the operating room and the anesthesiologist put something tingly in my IV that made me loopy. Then he put the breathing mask on me and I was out! The next thing I know, I am awake in the recovery room but everything was a haze. I thought I was still in the operating room waiting to have surgery. I was in and out of sleep for about 20 minutes. Then I tried moving my leg without thinking about it and a sharp pain brought me back to reality.

I spoke to the surgeon and he said the surgery went well (do they ever come out and say, "Uh, damn, well, you see what had happened was, I should have made a left at your ACL but instead made a right. Your knee is all jacked up now....my bad, son.") He did end up doing the microfracture surgery but said there was only a tiny piece of cartilage missing. The rest of the knee looked pretty good to him so he did not have to fix anything else.

I am now resting on the couch with my leg elevated. I can't take a shower until Sunday but I do have my pain medicine to help me out. My next appointment is Thursday, and I get to see pictures of my knee. That should be pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment